Tuesday 29 May 2012

Charity starts at Manchester House...

So we're a couple of weeks into the holidays, and if it wasn't for the frenzy that is looking for a new home, I'd be at a complete loss of what to do, and be utterly desperate to get back to uni already. 


I've already applied for around thirty jobs this summer with little to no success, and that includes getting any 'thanks, but no thanks' responses. Luckily, I've found The Hunger Games trilogy of books, and along with a few other additions to my collection I've got plenty of material to fill the gaps between sleeping, eating and seeing so many houses online and in reality that they're all blurring into one and I'm forced to differentiate them via unusual means such as 'this is the house with the death shed (looks terrifying!)' and 'this is the house with the out-door spiders breeding ground (aka, outside loo) and I hope no one ever sees our spreadsheet with all the properties on as Chris and I had a little too much to drink one night recently and while adding another batch of finds to the list, one or two little profanities may have found their way into the list.


This meant I had to find something to do with my time, and mercifully an opportunity cropped up that would fill my Tuesday afternoons and help a good cause at the same time. To cut a long story short, I'm volunteering for a charity shop. My own personal experiences of these places isn't that big really, I've ventured into several to wander around and see if anything catches my eye, the one time that really stands out is the time I found Woody in the local Tenovus charity shop. I used that wooden drawing mannequin in one of my uni videos, for those of you who have not seen Woody's Time Lapse Adventure, please click here to watch.


I don't want this post to be all preachy, that anyone should be purposefully shopping in charity shops, or volunteering themselves, but just to raise an awareness that I did not have before and share my feelings about what I'm doing. It's a mutual beneficial endeavour for both myself, and Manchester House, in Conwy that raises money on behalf of the local charity, Carers Outreach, that support adult carers, link to their website here. I'm going to be volunteering every Tuesday afternoon until the end of September, and I imagine it wont be the last time I'll be posting about it on here.


Sorry about the lack of funnies and pretty pictures though...





No comments:

Post a Comment