Friday 25 February 2011

Being bored leads to a transformation and my take on size 0

For those of you who choose to read my blog, most of you know what I look like from day to day. One night, a few nights ago I was doing what I do best; procrastinating. This does grow a little tiresome from time to time, so I figured I'd combine two of few of the things I seem to be able to do 'quite' well (I say quite because the extent of my true talent is debatable; also, I told you I was good at procrastinating!)

I pulled down my make up box (I don't own a 'bag', and considering I rarely venture out with more than a little eyeliner and some mascara, I own quite a lot of expensive make up) and spent an hour and a half transforming myself. I do this for fun, just to see what results I can get. I pulled on my red wig and put in my red contacts and went all out. I was rather surprised with the outcome. So, I did what most do, and posted the picture (and a rather hideous 'before' shot) onto facebook for the masses to judge for themselves.

I was told by one friend that this was the nicest he'd ever seen me looking. Now don't get him wrong, he doesn't mean it nastily, only that with some effort (well, a lot) that I can look totally different to how I would normally leave the house. This got me to thinking, if it takes me an hour and a half to look 'pretty' (again debatable) and a complete change of hair colour, then at what stage will be be widely accepted that going out without half a box of make up is considered 'unattractive'? Now, without sounding like an emo, I'm not the most confident about my looks. I'm happy to admit this because moreso than ever before, it has come to my attention that 99.9% of the population is unhappy with some part of themselves. Even people I had always considered to be 'attractive' (i.e. the good side of curvy, in proportion, symmetrical face and a nice smile) have been able to pick two or three things about themselves that they would change if they could.

To whom can the blame for this mass lack of confidence be pointed at? The person for succumbing to the media? Or the media for portraying an unachievable image of attractiveness? I was reading in a newspaper yesterday that Samantha Cameron (the PM's MRS) was slated for looking glum at catwalk event for the London Fashion Week. Quick to cover her obvious distaste for the skeletal Swedish matchstick, I mean model Chloe Memisevic, insiders told reporters that it's not the done thing to reveal emotion when sitting in the front row. The article basically says, who can blame Mrs Cameron for looking glum when all young people have to aspire to are a bunch of malnourished sticks that probably fear inhaling the scent of McDonalds in fear of putting on a few calories. How are anorexia and bullemia an acceptable rolemodels for young children aspiring to be supermodels?

Yes, I know this subject has been done to death, but how many young people have to kill themselves trying to obtain this ludicrous image that some fashion designer tells you is 'perfect' before they all pack up their ugly chiffon creations and go eat a 6 course meal and a family size bar of Dairy Milk?

Coming back to the picture once more, would you say it was an attractive look for me? Would you say that it would be a good idea to spend that much time each and everyday to make myself more 'attractive'? I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture Gem, you look totally different, however it doesn't look like 'Gem'. Why not spend the hour and a half a day building your confidence?
    I know I am biased, but you are amazing, anyone would be lucky to have you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look different - but I prefer your natural look! You have fab eyes anyway, and gorgeous hair, and nice skin! And - most of all - you have personality and can carry a conversation that doesn't evolve around the sole topics of (A) getting hammered/high or (B) what the latest celeb gossip is! 'Looks' fade, and I don't care how skinny a person is, gravity still hits after a certain amount of time - its the heart and the personality that lasts, and makes somebody 'attractive' long term!

    ReplyDelete