Thursday 10 February 2011

Thursday 3rd February. A day out in Manchester



Day 4, yes I'm posting a little later than planned but none the less productive. Manchester Picadilly station was busy with commuters and people reluctant to be photographed. It would set a trend for the majority of the day with people walking out of their way to avoid the lens, I know how they feel; I think that I would do the same if someone pointed a lens at me!

It was a nice, sunny day but really cold. After stopping for lunch, we found a huge ferris wheel in the middle of the city and spent a while photographing it, its reflections and the now lunching commuters we had first seen at the station.

A visit to Manchester almost always calls for a visit to Afflecks Palace, a huge department-style building full of alternative shops. We purchased tshirts with the obligatory funny slogans and perused the plethora of bizarre and awesome stalls, there's something new there each time I visit.

The day we visited also happened to be the Chinese new year and the celebrations were in full swing. Although the sky was somewhat washed out, and the pictures have come out a little dull.

So far, my exploration into street photography has been an eye opener. I find a lot of people seem suspicious of photographers pointing lenses at them, others remain utterly oblivious consumed by their work, destination, or electronics. I'm looking forward to Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment